As for the Japanese earthquake + tsunami…I haven’t written up a post, because I have no words. I am overwhelmed by the images and the stories coming out of Japan, from stories about the survival of one baby, to the many many deaths and news reports highlighting shocked and weeping parents searching for children and people searching the debris for loved ones, to stories about cats and dogs being found alive, to the news about pending nuclear reactor disaster, to stories about the small core group of nuclear reactor engineers (heroes) staying behind to work on the reactors, to footage of the first minutes of the tsunami, to stories about little towns that are no more, to the many many personal stories that touch my quivering, heavy heart.
I have no words. And you can pray, but I’m sorry, prayers can only do so much, because if you believe in G*d, he’s already sent an earthquake and a tsunami, and now it’s up to humans to pick up the pieces. So send money, if you can. Because right now, that’s better than any blog post. And because in this situation, prayer helps yourself more than those in need.
- Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10. Or visit Redcross.org
- International Medical Corps..or text MED to 80888 to donate $10.
- Doctors Without Borders is also sending teams to Japan.
- The International Fund for Animal Welfare is deploying a team to assist with animal rescue in Japan. Donations will be used to buy pet food, veterinary supplies, vaccines, and other necessities for animals needing help.
- ShelterBox offers disaster relief that delivers emergency shelter to people affected by disaster worldwide. They were interviewed by CNN recently about shelterboxes enroute to Japan. They are an amazing cause. You can donate on their website.
- Bakesale for Japan, an amazing nationwide bakesale for Japan organized by Samin is still taking direct donations for Peace Winds America.