I snarfed this idea, in which she lists her recent meals, from my friend Jamey over at Modern Conjure. Here are some of the things I’ve eaten in the last two weeks. Gotta feed the Muse.
top row, left to right:
- a butter poached egg (poached egg, dipped in raw egg + breadcrumbs, and then fried in butter until the outside is crispy, but the yolk is still delicious and runny–recipe from Marion Cunningham’s The Breakfast Book). oh, i am going to have to make this again.
- homemade waffles (with our new waffle maker!) topped with homemade blueberry syrup (take maple syrup, pop a handful of blueberries in, simmer and voila: blueberry syrup)
- grilled mackerel (oh, i had been craving fish. i love mackerel).
- 12th wedding anniversary dessert at Jean Georges (the most decadent meal. which we couldn’t finish as hung our heads in shame)
middle row, left to right:
- egg caviar appetizer at Jean Georges, where we had our 12th wedding anniversary dinner
- homemade roast chicken w root vegetables–this is comfort food for my husband
- homemade couscous topped w caramelized onions
- Ciao Samin’s “something from nothing” long-cooked broccoli pasta. totally hit the spot on a rainy windy afternoon on which i was writing at home.
bottom row, left to right:
- stuffed cabbage–a family staple
- modern galbi jjim topped with crispy rice balls from JungSik. inventive modern Korean–which gave me both the comfort of my most beloved flavor profile along with the adventure of something new.
- lots of plain steamed rice (and saltine crackers). like, for a week while i was/am sick with some mysterious stomach ailment.
- rainbow jello to break the monotony of paper-colored foods while sick.