My friend Krys Lee’s book Drifting House is up next for a giveaway. Drifting House, Krys Lee’s debut story collection, will be released on February 2, 2012 in the U.S., and has experienced quite a buzz, earning starred reviews from Kirkus and Publishers Weekly. It’s also had countless positive reviews and recommendations–most recently, The Daily Beast named Drifting House a “must read.”
I’m so happy to give away a copy of Drifting House! And stay tuned, because I’m interviewing Krys for the upcoming March issue of Kartika Review.
Opening lines of the eponymous story, “Drifting House”:
“The day the siblings left to find their mother, snow devoured the northern mining town. Houses loomed like ghosts. The government’s face was everywhere: on the sides of a marooned cart, above the lintel of the gray post office, on placards scattered throughout the surrounding mountains praising the Dear Leader Kim Jong-il. And in the grain sack strapped to the oldest brother Woncheol’s back, their crippled sister, the weight of a few books.”
And Krys and I also thought it would be fun to do a quickie, James Lipton-esque, Proust Questionnaire-based interview via twitter (yes, this interview happened “in real time”). I’m hoping it will give you some insight into the writer behind the book and of course, we had a bit of fun doing it. So here we go…
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Krys Lee: A world where no one is in need, which is in theory a communist society, and we all know how that turned out.
2. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
KL: I think accomplishment and intelligence are overrated. Many an accomplished person has committed acts of atrocity. These virtues gain more value when paired with generosity and compassion.
3. If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
KL: I’d come back as a human rights activist, a park ranger in a wilderness area with elk and moose, or a sea turtle in a protected tropical cove.
So let’s get to the heart of the matter: the giveaway!
I’m giving away a signed copy of Krys Lee’s short story collection. You can see a copy of the book in the photos of my “wiener dogs reading books.” The collection is debuting in hardcover (as you see here, though you will get a non-doggie copy) and it will be signed by the author.
Here’s how to enter:
1) Leave a comment below. You can say anything you want–e.g., you can choose to tell me why you want a copy of the book, or tell me something about your homebase/s in life, or write down your favorite short story collection. Do fill out your email address when you fill out the fields in the comment box (it won’t be published to the world, but I will need it in order to contact you in case you win)!
2) 1 entry per person
3) The giveaway is open worldwide.
4) If you win the contest, I will email you for your mailing address.
5) Winners will be chosen by a random number generator.
6) I will be announcing the contest winner on the blog. None of your personal information will be posted, aside from your first name and last initial (or the nickname you choose to list in your comment). If you see that someone else has entered the same name as you, please try to pick a different nickname to call yourself, so as to avoid confusion.
7) If you are below the age of 13, please ask your parents to fill out the comment field with their information.
The deadline to enter a comment is Wednesday February 8, 2012 1:00pm EST. The winner (picked at random) will be announced February 8, 2012 by 9:00pm EST.
Update: The winner is announced!