photo by: Kristyn Stroble
Welcome. My name is Christine Hyung-Oak Lee, and I spend my time writing, reading, mothering my daughter,
obsessing about my wiener dogs, backpacking and doing yoga, baking, cooking (and eating), traveling, and missing NYC whenever I’m not in NYC. I also happen to be a stroke survivor (in stroke speak: left thalamic stroke 12/31/06, caused by a PFO, closed June 2007). Blog posts here will likely range along those topics.
follow @xtinehlee on twitter
or email me at christine DOT zilka AT gmail DOT com
My official bio:
Christine Hyung-Oak Lee is the Fiction Editor at Kartika Review. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming in journals and anthologies such as ZYZZYVA, Guernica, The Rumpus, Verbsap, Hyphen Magazine, Newport Review, Azalea, and Men Undressed: Women Authors Write About Male Sexual Experience. She was awarded a residency at Hedgebrook in 2006, and her stories have also placed in competitions by Poets and Writers Magazine’s Writers Exchange Contest, Glimmer Train, and others.
She earned her undergraduate degree from UC Berkeley and her MFA in Creative Writing from Mills College. She has a novel in progress.
My super-short bio:
Wants to be Gryffindor, but is really Hufflepuff.
Christine works at a dining room table surrounded by piles of teaching materials and student papers that need constant grading and she writes with a needy geriatric wiener dog who smells like corn chip Fritos on her lap and another needy wiener dog with feral survival tendencies who is up to no good somewhere in the kitchen. She should be running and exercising, but instead she is baking cookies and eating them. By herself. In front of her laptop. Trying to revise her novel. She is very pale.
You can also find me on a food blog called Muffin Top that I share with friends.
- “Frank and Jindori” AZALEA, Volume 7, May 2014
- “Mint” The Rumpus, March 2014
- “All The Men I Loved” Sundog Lit in honor of Matthew Salesses’ I’m Not Saying, I’m Just Saying book release, February 2013
- “Scarlet” Newport Review, Spring 2013
- “Maps” Guernica, December 2012
- “Interment” Kartika Review, Winter 2011
- “Erasure” Men Undressed: Women Authors Write About Male Sexual Experience, Other Voices/DZANC Books, October 2011
- “It’s Been Way Too Long” Yomimono, Spring 2010
- “Arigato” Glimmer Train Fiction Open, Honorable Mention, March 2009
- “Permission to Marry” Poets and Writers Magazine California Writers Exchange Contest, Finalist, January 2007
- “Just A Little Feeling Verbsap, May 2005
- “Bile” ZYZZYVA, Fall 2003
- Behind the Scenes: Interview with Christine Lee Zilka and Jennifer Derilo of Kartika Review — HTMLGIANT October 2013
- Writing and Race: interview with Bill Cheng and Christine Lee Zilka — ALIST Magazine August 2013
- The Ethnic Literature Box: an interview with Don Lee — Guernica Magazine June 2012
- Conversation with Krys Lee, an interview – Kartika Review Spring 2012
- Conversation with Catherine Chung, an interview – Kartika Review Spring 2012
- Conversation with Nami Mun, an interview – Kartika Review Fall/Winter 2009
- Conversation with Chang-rae Lee, an interview – Kartika Review Fall/Winter 2009
- Conversation with Peter Ho Davies, an interview – Kartika Review Spring/Summer 2009
- Conversation with Alexander Chee, an interview – Kartika Review Fall/Winter 2008
- Conversation with Randa Jarrar, an interview – Kartika Review Fall/Winter 2008
- Conversation with Yiyun Li, an interview – Kartika Review Summer 2008
- “Alienated” an opinion essay– asia! Magazine 2007
- “The Writing Cage” a feature – asia! Magazine 2006
- “Ramen Around the World” a feature – asia! Magazine 2006
- “The Jewish Mermaid” a feature – asia! Magazine 2006